Car translations Italy

Attractive prices of cars from Italy are tempting to bring them to Poland.

However, there is still the question of the formalities we have to go through in order to be able to drive legally on Italian and later Polish roads. The prepared article will guide you through the procedure of buying and registering a car, step by step.

Before you go to Italy, it is worth doing a proper reconnaissance beforehand. A very good source of used car adverts is the websites.

Among the most popular of these are:


Buying a used car in Italy involves far more complex procedures than buying a new vehicle. To get through the process smoothly, you can enlist the help of a Car Sales Representative (Agenzie di Pratiche Auto) to help you complete the relevant documentation.

The 3 most important documents you will need to import your car:

  • Vehicle card
  • document of deregistration of the car from the Italian Department of Motor Vehicles
  • sales contract

Visit to the Automobile Club d’Italia (ACI)
For the purchase to be legal, you must go with the car owner to ACI. It is the office’s responsibility to draw up all the necessary documents on behalf of the buyer, which must be signed in the presence of a notary. It is a good idea to go to the office with someone who speaks Italian well. This will ensure that you have no problem understanding the content of the documents.
At ACI, the owner de-registers the car, paying €170. ACI gives back the car’s registration certificate (original), noting that it has been cancelled and that the car is for export to the EU. You will also receive a Certificato di proprieta, or so-called title deed.

The necessary documents are :

  • sale deed – Atto di Vendita
  • vehicle document (card) – Certificato di proprieta
  • car registration certificate – Carta di Circolazione

Once purchased as an owner, you have 60 days to re-register and import the car with a current registration certificate. If the registration of the change of ownership is not recorded by the authority within 60 days, the former owner will still be liable for the car, including non-payment of taxes, accidents caused or violations of the highway code.

There are two ways to import a car from Italy:

1) You bring the car in on a trailer – this option is by far the more common choice due to the lower cost. To complete the formalities, you will need an invoice on which your details are included, which have been taken down from your identity card. You will also need a photocopy of the registration certificate of the lorry-van or the lorry itself, together with the OC. This is necessary to deregister the car from Italy.

NOTE! You must demonstrate to the dealership or commission how your car will leave Italian territory. Unfortunately, there are such procedures in Italy and, although you have already paid for the car, it will not be released without a proper photocopy.

De-registering the car costs €170, which is carried out by the dealership or commission. You will wait a maximum of two days for all the necessary documents. You will also need to inform the vendor what border you intend to cross.

The documents you will receive are:

  • Certificate of registration – Carta di Circolazione
  • Property deed – Certificato di Proprieta
  • Contract of sale – Contratto di Vendita-Acqusto

2) You return by car – If you leave by car, the procedure related to documents is the same as in the version of returning by truck. The difference is in the exit signs, and the insurance we have to take out.

To buy new plates you must go to the Motorizacione Civile. The cost of the plates is an expense of around €50, while it should cost you around €430 for insurance for a minimum of eight days.
The boards you will receive are one plain white sheet with printed numbers and a mass of stamps. You will need to stick it onto the rear window.
However, to avoid problems at the border, consider photocopying the card and sticking it to the front as well. It is also a good idea to put the card in special foil so that it does not get wet, in case of possible rain.

Necessary documents for registration of the car in Poland:

  • deregistration certificate
  • proof of ownership (invoice or sales contract)
  • translation of the registration certificate and the certificate (as well as other Italian documents)
  • plates
  • technical inspection

Make sure you have all the necessary documents with you to avoid possible problems in Poland.

The documents in your possession are in Italian and must be translated in accordance with Polish law.

Purchase and sale agreements in Polish do not require authentication. You must use a sworn translator to obtain such a translation.

The certified translation has a repertory number and bears the legible imprint of the round seal and the signature of the sworn translator.

In Italy, there are two types of review:

  • Tagliando – Programme review. It is not mandatory, but it is customary to carry it out once a year.
  • Revisione – registration review. According to the Italian Highway Code, it must be performed after 4 years from the date of the vehicle’s first registration, and every 2 years thereafter (for standard passenger cars).

When buying a car in Italy, you may often hear from the seller that the car has a valid technical inspection, so you can save money by not having this inspection done in Poland. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. If the term of the foreign examination is longer than the Polish regulations provide for, the official during the registration in Poland may not recognise it.

In Italy, the compulsory technical inspection takes place every two years, while in Poland it takes place every year. It may, therefore, be the case that the car you purchase has an Italian technical inspection expiry date of more than one year. In this case, it will be necessary to go to a diagnostician.

With an Italian technical inspection, you must also be aware that the car may be referred to a diagnostic station to ascertain technical data necessary for registration that is not included in the original Italian documents.

Even if you have an Italian inspection, it is worth considering a Polish technical inspection. You can carry it out at any Vehicle Inspection Station. After a successful inspection, you will receive a certificate of the technical examination and a Vehicle Identification Document.

Upon return to Poland, one of the most important points related to registration is a visit to the Customs Office. You must complete the formalities at Customs within five days of purchasing the car.

What are the formalities at Customs Office?
At the office, you submit a so-called “Simplified declaration for intra-Community acquisitions”, marked AKC-U. It is also necessary to pay the excise duty into the bank account of the relevant Customs Chamber.

What is the excise duty?
The amount of excise duty depends on the engine capacity of the vehicle purchased.

If, therefore, your vehicle has an engine:

  • up to 2000 cc , the excise duty is 3.1% of the vehicle price
  • over 2000 cc, the excise duty is as high as 18.6% of the vehicle price

To obtain an excise document, submit the following documents:

  • the completed AKC-U declaration
  • an application to the Head of the Customs Office for the issue of a document confirming payment of excise duty
  • proof of stamp duty payment (you will pay PLN 17 for it).

The next place you need to go to is the Tax Office. You visit him once you have received confirmation of payment of the excise duty. The visit is necessary to obtain a VAT exemption. To do this, you fill in a special VAT-24 application form and pay an amount of PLN 160 to the office.

The VAT -24 application must be accompanied by:

  • Originals and photocopies of previously translated vehicle documents
  • Proof of payment

There are other expenses to consider before you go to the Traffic Department. This is the so-called recycling fee that all persons who bring a vehicle into Poland from abroad must pay. The recycling fee was introduced in Poland in 2005 as a result of increased car imports from the West. This is an expense of around PLN 500, which you pay by bank transfer to the National Fund for Environmental Protection and Water Management.

NOTE! Don’t forget to include the model and make of the car in the title of the transfer, as well as the description “recycling fee”, and the VIN or chassis, body or frame number of the vehicle.

Transfer details: National Fund for Environmental Protection and Water Management: BGK III Branch in Warsaw 65 1130 1062 0000 0109 9520 0014.

Now all that remains is to go to the Department of Transport, where you will register your car.

You take all the documents you have collected so far to the Motor Vehicle Department, not forgetting copies and translations. Also remember to bring your completed car registration application with you.

On the spot, you pass the documents and the certificate of deregistration of the car in Italy. In return, you will receive a temporary registration certificate, plate and window sticker.
Now all that remains is a visit to your insurer, where you will conclude a third-party liability contract.

Registering a car purchased in another country is an expense of PLN 256.

The registration price includes the cost:

  • Licence plates – PLN 80
  • Registration certificate – PLN 54
  • Issuance of a vehicle card – PLN 75
  • Issuance of a temporary permit – PLN 13.5

And also :

  • Legalisation sticker – PLN 12.5
  • Control sticker – PLN 18.5
  • Registration fee – PLN 2.

With your registration correctly passed, you can enjoy your car. From now on, you are the rightful owner and user of the vehicle!


    W$ł$o$ 3

    Health is paramount. That is why, for us, your translation is the most important thing.