Car translations Austria

When importing a car from Austria, you have to reckon with the costs. The high price to pay is mainly for the export plates, and insurance, which can cost you up to several hundred euros.

Before you travel to Austria, it is worth searching for an interesting car via the Internet beforehand. This kind of reconnaissance will make you feel more confident.

Internet portals are an ideal source of advertisements with used car sales offers. You can browse through thousands of adverts on sites of this type and, using special search options, narrow down your search criteria and find the pieces you are interested in.

At you will find the addresses of Austrian commissions, where you will have the opportunity to review car advertisements.

The formalities for buying a car in Austria are similar to those in other countries. The purchase is based on a purchase contract or other document, such as an invoice. You also need to check out the car.

Austria has a two-part registration document.

It consists of:
a) Zullasungsbescheinigung Teil I – the equivalent of our registration certificate, which contains basic data about the vehicle and owner. When driving on Austrian roads, the driver must carry only this part and present it for inspection if necessary. All mentions and official notes are also placed in this section.
b) Zullasungbescheinigung Teil II – the equivalent of our vehicle card, which is kept at home. However, it is necessary to present it every time there is a need to make changes to the document – in the case of deregistration of the car, changes to the registration certificate, or when plates/documents are replaced due to damage/loss. Teil II includes Typenschein, a document which is an extract from the approval certificate.

Old registration certificates
The current two-part registration certificate was introduced in Austria in 1999. If you decide to buy an older car, it is quite possible that you will receive a one-part registration certificate, the so-called Zulassungsschein. According to Austrian law, such documents are valid for cars registered before 1999 and remain valid until replaced.

If you want to return to Poland by car, you must obtain a special permit called an Überstellungskennzeichen. It will enable you to be temporarily allowed to drive your vehicle. You will receive them provided you have taken out the appropriate third-party liability policy and the vehicle has passed a technical inspection properly. Along with the granting of the permit, you will be issued with a temporary number plate (green in colour) and also a document authorising you to drive the vehicle on the road (Überstellungsfahrtschein). Plates are valid from 3 to 21 days.

The problem you face is the high cost of purchasing of the plates, which is as high as €172.10. On top of this, it is necessary to add a compulsory insurance policy, which can total up to €300-400. In Germany, this kind of paperwork will cost us around €100-150.

Where to check out the car?
Once you have bought your car, you go to the Austrian communications department, the Zulassungstelle. You will carry out all the necessary formalities related to the registration of the car, as well as the purchase of plates and insurance.
At you will find a complete list of Austrian communications departments along with their address and contact information.

Upon return from Austria, a visit to a sworn translator will be necessary to translate the documents necessary for registration in Poland. As an applicant, you will have to submit not only a set of the necessary documents and the vehicle registration documents, but also their certified translation.

Remember to photocopy the original documents, and their translations, as this will be required later.
If you have a bilingual purchase and sale agreement, it is not necessary to re-translate it, although it is worth knowing that some authorities may require a sworn translator’s stamp on such a document.

In order to properly complete the car registration process, you must also have a current technical inspection, which you will complete at a Vehicle Inspection Station.

After the inspection, you will receive two documents: a certificate of technical inspection and a Vehicle Identification Document.

Upon return to Poland, a visit to the Customs Office will be necessary. You have five days from the date of purchase of the vehicle to do so. To do this, you visit the customs office responsible for your place of residence. If you do not know which authority you fall under, you can easily check this on the website of the Ministry of Finance. There, you will not only find a list of offices, but will also have the opportunity to use specimen forms, which you will need to fill in and find out a lot of necessary information, such as the bank account number to which you must pay the excise duty.

AKC-U declaration
At the Customs Office, you submit a so called “Simplified declaration for intra-Community acquisitions”, which has been designated with the symbol AKC-U. In order to receive the necessary certificate, it will also be necessary to pay the calculated excise duty into the bank account of the relevant Customs Chamber.

What influences the excise duty?
The excise duty is affected by the engine capacity of the vehicle purchased.

If your car has an engine with a capacity of:

  • up to 2000 cc, the excise duty will be 3.1% of the vehicle price
  • over 2000 cc, the excise duty will be as much as 18.6% of the vehicle price

The time it takes to issue a certificate varies greatly between offices. In some you will get them on the spot, in others you will have to wait a few days.

In order to obtain a proof of payment of excise duty, you must present:

  • the completed AKC-U declaration
  • a completed application to the Head of the Customs Office for the issue of a document confirming payment of excise duty
  • proof of payment of stamp duty for the document confirming payment of excise duty – you will pay PLN 17 for it

Originals and copies of the following documents will also be necessary:

  • Car purchase documents (sales contracts, invoices)
  • Document of deregistration of the car in the country of purchase
  • Vehicle identification document (in the case of Austria, Zullasungsbescheinigung Teil I – and Zullasungsbescheinigung Teil II)
  • Technical inspection certificates
  • Translation of all documents

Remember that you pay the excise duty by bank transfer, having it credited to the account of the Customs Chamber. The title of the transfer should state – “excise duty on a passenger car”, and include the make and body number of the car.

Once you have received proof of payment of the excise duty, the next place you need to go to is the tax office responsible for your place of residence. Deal with the formalities exempting you from paying VAT here. To do this, you fill in and submit a VAT – 24 application, and pay the amount of PLN 160 to the office. In some tax offices it happens that the fee can be paid on the spot.

You must attach to your VAT -24 application:

  • Originals and photocopies of previously translated vehicle documents
  • Proof of payment

Once you have submitted a set of documents, it remains to wait for a certificate confirming your VAT exemption. There is usually a seven-day wait.

Another fee on your list of expenses associated with importing a car is the recycling fee. It is essential for registering a car in Poland. You pay the fee of PLN 500 by transfer to the account of the National Fund for Environmental Protection and Water Management.

Don’t forget to include in the title of the transfer the model and make of the car, as well as the description “recycling fee”, and the VIN or chassis, body or frame number of the vehicle.
Once you have paid, the last point on the list is the Department of Motor Vehicles, where you will register your car.

When going to the Traffic Department, remember to take all the documents you have collected so far. Also include copies and translations, and a completed car registration application.
You hand over your original documents and plates on site and receive a temporary registration certificate, plate and window sticker in return.

Also, don’t forget the necessary car insurance and a third-party liability contract! Only with this set of documents can you legally drive on the road in Poland!

At the traffic department, we will pay 256 PLN for registration.

What is included in the registration price?

  • Licence plates – PLN 80
  • Registration certificate – PLN 54
  • Vehicle card – PLN 75
  • Temporary permit – PLN 13.5
  • Legalisation sticker – PLN 12.5
  • Control sticker – PLN 18.5
  • Registration fee – PLN 2.

You are now a fully-fledged vehicle owner! You can start to road.


    A$u$s$t 3

    Health is paramount. That is why, for us, your translation is the most important thing.